£35,000 – £60,000
- To report directly to the Commercial Director on all matters relating to the commercial operations construction activities.
- Management of commercial activities on site relating to the company, the client and supply chain
- To support the commercial and operations team
The main duties include the responsibility for the following:
The following list of duties and responsibilities is intended to reflect the principal elements of the Quantity Surveyors role only and is therefore not exhaustive:
- Produce and send enquiries to subcontractors inviting them to tender and engagement with supply chain
- Receive and analyse quotations, liaising with Project Managers and Site Managers regarding price, proven history, availability etc.
- Produce and process formal subcontract documents and certify interim and final payments and final subcontract account
- Produce monthly interim valuations
- Produce contract forecast reports for internal commercial reporting ensuring information is complete and accurate
- Produce contract revenue and cash flow forecast
- Engage with supply chain, sending enquiries to material suppliers.
- Manage and process purchase orders in line with company procedures
- Contribute to and attend financial and progress meetings with the client engineers and subcontractors as required
- Provide advice and support to the site team in order to optimise the use of contract resources
- Ensure effective interaction between the commercial team and the operational site teams Supervise and mentor Quantity Surveyors and Assistant Quantity Surveyors
- Give feedback to Estimators and Contracts Managers with regard to contract pricing, projected profit/loss, pricing omissions etc
- Working with the design team to develop cost saving opportunities
- To have read, understood and comply with Company Policies and Procedures at all times.
- Fully co-operate with the Company’s Customer Care Policy.
- Fully comply with the Company’s Customer Satisfaction Policy and Procedures.
- Ensure all directly employed personnel work within the required specification and adhere to general Company Policies.
- Ensure all sub-contractors work within the required specification and adhere to general Company Policies.
- Ensure that procedures and controls laid down by the Company are fully implemented by all site personnel.
- Always represent Aberla Utilities Limited professionally in both personal appearance and conduct.
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks in accordance with operational needs as requested by your managers.
Skills knowledge and aptitude:
- Ability to use a range of IT packages including Microsoft Office and bespoke packages
- Exceptional relationship building skills
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Commercial awareness and understanding of the Construction process
- Excellent communication skills, both oral & written
- Negotiation skills and ability to apply those skills internally, externally & with our supply chain.
- Positive attitude at all times and the ability to integrate and play active part in the Construction Team
- Good organisational skills and the ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Keen to pursue personal development needs and maintain up-to-date knowledge
Qualifications and training – Essential:
- CSCS Card
- Educated to a minimum of Degree level in Quantity Surveying and/or a construction related discipline
Qualifications and training – Desirable:
- Member of the RICS or other relevant professional body
- Experience of working in multi-utility or telecoms sectors
- Extensive experience in commercial management and procurement of subcontractors, including chairing regular meetings, measurement and control cycle, certificates and accruals calculations
- Proven track record of leading a high quality, customer-led service
- Demonstrate competence in a technical construction discipline.
- Extensive experience in procuring external contractors and consultants.
- Extensive experience of negotiating contractual claims and variations
- Ability to demonstrate a good knowledge of monthly reporting and earned value analysis
- Ability to encourage and support junior members of the Commercial Team
- Familiarity with NEC and JCT forms of contract and knowledge of current Construction Law
- Current full UK driving license