M&E Estimator role
Job Title: M&E Estimator
Report to: Commercial Director
The Estimator’s role is to lead on estimates across the business in conjunction with the preconstruction team, to answer directly to the board of directors on all estimating matters and develop/build the estimating function within the larger group of companies.
Oversee all estimating matters and provide support to the preconstruction and bid teams, ensuring cost effective solutions to meet the company’s objectives.
About Aberla Group
Aberla is an energy infrastructure specialist based in North West England and operating across the UK. We have an in-house design and delivery team, which enables us to provide our clients with a full turn-key solution.
We are small enough to be flexible with our delivery model, yet large enough to be a long-term partner with strong financial backing – consisting of institutional investment and high net worth individuals. The Group offers our partners Energy Management, Renewables, Utilities and M&E services.
We work for private developers, construction companies, local authorities, social housing associations and energy companies, to name a few.
The Company is investing in our pre-construction and estimating ability, to ensure we can provide cost-effective solutions to our growing client portfolio. The M&E Estimator is key to this.
There is potential for the right candidate to progress quickly and to oversee the growing team.
The role responds directly to the Commercial Director.
The role will involve
- Responding to tender related queries and preparing tender packages/quotations with values ranging from £100k to £5m+ depending on client requirements
- Candidate should have knowledge of both electrical and mechanical estimating, but an electrical bias is preferred
- Managing own work flow and maintaining accurate record of tenders submitted
- Undertaking estimates in accordance with Company procedures
- Identifying opportunities and risks during the tender process
- Liaising with the bid, preconstruction and delivery teams to agree strategy, key dates and site visits
- Maintaining an estimating register and tracker
- Producing detailed exclusions, assumptions and qualifications for tenders
- Producing fully detailed contractors’ proposals to be submitted alongside the commercial proposal
- Leading tender adjudications at bid approval stage
- Preparing handover packs for the operations team
- Determining the price of time, labour and materials for tender submissions
- Negotiating cost settlements for projects
- Overseeing preparation of accurate sub-contractor packages for pricing and liaising with our supply chain
- Clarifying any design requirements with clients and/or their agents
- Undertaking value engineering exercise alongside clients estimating team.
- Building and maintaining a strong working relationship with clients.
The M&E Estimator will possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience of working as part of a Project Team
- Good Communicator with the ability to lead and oversee projects
- Experience within a bid team and/or commercial setting
- Experience in a previous mechanical and electrical estimating role
- Experience of estimating medium/large size mechanical, electrical, energy, utility and infrastructure projects within the private and public sector
- Experience of estimating both design and build and traditional build contracts
- Ability to draft detailed contractors’ proposals
- Relevant qualifications in a mechanical and electrical related discipline
- Ability to maximise return/benefit from procurement practices and supply chain management
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Computerised estimating systems and IT skills as appropriate
- Ability in the use of Microsoft Excel
Office Location: Warrington
Bonus Scheme: Yes
Health Care: Yes
Pension Scheme: Yes
Aberla are an Equal Opportunities Employer. We aim to provide equality of opportunity to all persons regardless of their religious belief, sex, race, age or sexual orientation.