- Pre-construction Manager
- You will be responsible for engaging with and overseeing of technical mechanical and electrical designs to ensure schemes fully comply to current building regulations, relevant BS standards, are feasible and fit for purpose, meet client specifications and aligned with project budgets.
The main duties include the responsibility for the following:
- Motivating and encouraging internal and external design teams/consultants
- Creating and managing project specific programmes
- Ensuring drawings and designs are produced on time, to a high quality, and are easy to decipher
- Overseeing the design process using technical expertise
- Working with clients to ensure that their expectations and specifications are met
- Reviewing designs with building regulations, British standards and health and safety in mind
- Avoiding errors and reducing financial risk during construction
- Ensuring designs are available to those who need them, at the appropriate time
- Maintaining thorough documentation of the design process
- Keeping up-to-date with changing building legislation and codes of practice relating to design
- Working in an office, with occasional site visits.
Skills knowledge and aptitude:
- Communication skills
- Ability to motivate and support staff
- Ability to liaise with internal and external personnel
- Meeting deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Able to embrace training
Qualifications and training – Essential:
- Construction/design related further education
- Relevant CSCS card
- At least 5 years’ experience in the relevant M&E field
- Experience working for a main contractor/developer
- Mechanical or Electrical bias
- Strong experience in procedures and programme development.
- Ability to manage/deliver multiple schemes concurrently
- Proven ability of delivering large complex mixed-use schemes
- Leadership qualities
- Innovative ideas and problem-solving abilities
- Commercially and technically competent
- Management of design consultants
- Management of sub-contractors
- Confident and clear communication skills
- Strong appreciation for health and safety
- Comfortable with managing meetings
- Good time management and the ability to multi-task
Qualifications and training – Desirable:
- Construction/design related HNC/HND/Degree
- At least 10 years’ experience in MEP Design within consultancies, contractors, or developers.
- Good experience on residential high-rise and low-rise new build projects.
- Good experience on building refurb projects
- Ability to work on numerous projects at various stages.
- Strong management and communication skills
- Comfortable in dealing with the Client and their representatives
- Technical M&E Design skills and knowledge
- Be able to manage M&E designs through the bid and RIBA stages
- Able to come up with new ways of doing things
- Be thorough and pay attention to detail
- Analytical thinking skills
- Persistence and determination
- Leadership and motivational skills
- Able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
- Be able to manage the design process through the bid and pre-construction stage.
- During Bid phase of projects provide effective and timely assistance, advice, and support with MEP design including Statutory utilities.
- Undertake technical reviews of tender design information to interrogate the design for completeness and quality, compliance against statutory regulations/standards/ERs, and identify any value engineering opportunities and risks.
- Review of MEP Consultant and third-party specialist designs and fees
- Collation of robust MEP consultant appointment documents: determine design requirements, scopes, responsibilities, and deliverables.
- Manage development of MEP design in accordance with the Client/Project brief, contract, legislation, planning, building regulations, CDM, technical requirements, budget, and programme.
- Reviewing 3rd party reports such as Energy Strategies, Fire Strategies, Acoustic Reports, Planning Conditions, and check MEP design solutions compliance.
- Attending, and chairing where appropriate, meetings with the Client, the designers, specialist contractors and other team members, project review meetings and workshops.
- Ability to communicate clearly and to work collaboratively with Clients and stakeholders.
- Well organised with a good working knowledge of document control software packages
- Identification and management of project risks.
- Excellent technical knowledge.